Re-FREAM at the ARS ELECTRONICA 2020
Fashion is a constantly ongoing development process, reflecting the mutable Zeitgeist of a complex society; it is the art and the related design discipline that most effectively transmits the languages and messages of our contemporary culture. Fashion can, thus, also be a fundamental attitude of any human to act on the surrounding reality in order to shape it and essentially be a “change-making” action.
The research project Re-FREAM is exploring the interaction between the domains of fashion, design, science, craft and technology, promoting a space for co-creation and research, where experimental projects will be connecting artists with scientists and technologists for better human centered and sustainable solutions.
At this years ARS ELECTRONICA 2020 festival, the results of 10 co-creation residencies will be shown, illustrating the potential of combining art with technology, crafting and sciences. Ars Electronica 2020 will take place from September 9 to 13 – in Linz, of course, but not only there. “For the first time, the festival is going to invite people to an Ars Electronica not only in Linz, but at 120 other venues worldwide and in parallel on the Net.” says Gerfried Stocker, Ars Electronica’s Artistic Director in a recent press release.
Following the motto of the festival In Kepler’s Gardens – A global journey mapping the ‘new’ world, we created the Re-FREAM Garden, which also looks at fashion from an uncomfortable perspective and opens up new spheres for sustainability and diversity with various talks and positions of artists.
Here’s what we planned for you at ARS ELECTRONICA 2020
- KEYNOTE & DISCUSSION – “Fashion. Technology. Responsibility.” on Sept 9th 2020 – 3:30pm
STARTS Lighthouse pilot Re-FREAM kicks off this session with a keynote questioning our attitude to the clothes we wear and how we can rethink the systems and conditions of their production. The keynote is followed by three teams of artists and technologists presenting the outcomes and prototypes of their co-creation in one of the three scientific hubs (Linz, Valencia, Berlin) within Re-FREAM.
- FASHION & TECHNOLOGY TALK – “Fashion Frictions – Otto von Busch Keynote! on Sept 9th 2020 – 5:30pm
There is a friction haunting fashion. Many of the basic qualities of design shares an uncomfortable fit with the way we interact with clothes: They are irrational. They are neither functional, nor user-friendly. Fashion is difference but also sameness, the new as well as the old, the cloning of idols as well as their rejection. It is a sense of pride as much as shame. And it is not uncommon that we feel an urge to lie to others about what we wear and our recent purchases. What is going on here? How are we to deal with the shallows and depths of fashion?
- PRESENTATIONS – “Re-FREAM round #1 presentations – Making of projects and prototypes” from Sept 9th to Sept 11th
Our 10 artists of the first round of Re-FREAM and their co-creation teams give you insights in their 9 months co-creation experiences, showcasing live making-ofs of their prototype processes and sneak peeks in the labs. They show their final outcomes and explain the potential of their projects to contribute to a more responsible future of fashion.
- EXHIBITION – “Re-FREAM exhibition – 10 video documentations of Re-FREAM prototype projects” online & on demand
10 Re-FREAM residencies show the outcomes of their 9-month journey on co-creation between art and technology. Each project team presents its projects and prototypes, research results and experiences in co-creation. Documented on video, you will see the outcomes of the prototype processes as well as services and products that have the potential to revolutionize the fashion industry.
Re-FREAM awarded artists presenting at ARS ELECTRONICA 2020
- Yokai Studios GmbH /AT Re-Think Manufacturing
- Elisabeth Jayot /FR Fragments Garments
- Fabio Molinas /IT- Leather for Vegetarians
- Youyang Song/GE – Cooking New Materials
- Jef Montes/ NL – Marinero
- Ganit Goldstein/(UK – WeAreAble
- Giulia Tomasello/IT – Alma
- witsense team /IT- LOVEWEAR
- Julia Koerner/AT – Digital Vogue – Between Synthetic and Organic Processes
- Jessica Smarsch /NL- Constructing Connectivity
SAVE THE DATE: #arselectronica20 from SEPTEMBER 9-11 2020
Follow us online to stay in the loop for more details:
- Re-FREAM on Facebook
- Re-FREAM on Instagram
- Re-FREAM on LinkedIn
- Re-FREAM on Twitter
- Join our Newsletter –> www.re-fream.eu
- Join our LinkedIn group on –> Re-FREAM – 3D print, wearable electronics, sustainability and fashion
Visit our Re-FREAM Garden at ARS ELECTRONICA: https://ars.electronica.art/keplersgardens/