What is Re-Fream? (short version)
Re-FREAM is a collaborative research project where selected artists and designers team up with a community of scientists to rethink the manufacturing process of the fashion industry. The goal is to develop new concepts for the future of fashion by means of new processes and aesthetics that are inclusive and sustainable. Awarded artists will receive a grant of 55,000 Euros.
What is Re-Fream? (long version)
Re-FREAM is a collaborative research project where selected artists and designers team up with a community of scientists to rethink the manufacturing process of the fashion industry. It’s a pillar of the STARTS Programme (Science + Technology + Arts), an initiative of the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
Over a nine-month period, these hybrid teams will embark on a co-research and co-creation journey guided by a specific art/tech collaboration methodology in which they will employ some of the most powerful technologies from some of the world’s most cutting-edge labs.
With a focus on the future of urban manufacturing of fashion, the research will be carried out at three different European scientific hubs (Berlin, Linz, Valencia). Each hub is dedicated to one area of research: additive manufacturing, smart textiles and sustainable finishing. We call them challenges.
In our co-creation spaces we provide access to technologies such as 3D printing (PolyJet), micro-nebulization, ozone or calendering technology, laser cutting, injection-molding etc.
The goal is to develop new concepts for the future of fashion by means of new processes and aesthetics that are inclusive and sustainable. All research results, co-creation processes and the technological tool box will be shared openly to build up a self-running and sustainable innovation community with artists and technologists.
New horizons for the fashion industry
“Re-Fream offers the perfect scenery to bring out art-driven innovation with an emphasis on fashion. The ten selected artists express the ideas and dreams of a new generation of creatives, where beauty blends with sensibility and function, and our clothes are more adaptable, smart, and sustainable. Their inspiring visions create a magical balance between art and technology and opens up new horizons for the fashion industry.” (Isabel Berz, IED - jury member)
Previous press releases:
December 2020: Re-FREAM: 10 new innovative concepts to rethink fashion – An international jury awarded projects to co-research with scientists on novel production methods and new materials
September 2020: Re-FREAM: Presentation of prototypes at ARS ELECTRONICA 2020 & Open Call 2020
August 2020: Re-FREAM @ ARS ELECTRONICA 2020
July 10th, 2019: 10 innovative concepts, which will change fashion – International Jury awarded 10 ARTISTS to re-think fashion together with scientists
Round 2 Artists Portrait Pictures
Logos and Banner:
Final Prototype Pics Call 1
Re-Fream in the media (selection):
- Futurenetzero.com (September 2020): Body scanners ‘could limit fashion industry’s carbon footprint’ – but how?
- 3D Printing Media Network (September 2020): Designers Ganit Goldstein and Julia Koerner explore direct-to-textile 3D printing
- Oberösterreichische Nachrichten (August 2020): Wie die Mode der Zukunft zwischen Linz, Berlin und Valencia entsteht
- Innovationorigins.com (July 2020): Ein dreidimensionaler Ansatz könnte die Modeproduktion revolutionieren
- Not for Real (July 2020): Modeindustrie 4.0: Die Werkzeuge des 21. Jahrhunderts nutzen
- Innovaspain (March 31st 2020): Elena Guillén: “En Austria las empresas tienen muy claro que solo pueden ser competitivas si apuestan por la innovación”
- mujeremprendedora.net (February 27 2020): “La moda siempre ha sido un sector pionero, en parte por su temporalidad”
- Innovaspain (February 20 2020): Jef Montes, diseñador: “Todos queremos ser únicos en nuestras propias máscaras”
- Innovaspain (February 11 2020): Belén Hinojosa (Care Applications): “Es necesario actuar para que la industria de la moda deje de ser tan contaminante”
- treizhebdo.com (February 3 2020): Développement durable : Rejoindre le programme de recherches Re-FREAM pour repenser la mode
- 3dnatives.com (January 31 2020): Ganit Goldstein über 3D-Druck bei Mode
- modaes.es (January 23 2020): La moda y la investigación se dan cita en el primer Fashion and Technology Summit
- Nachrichten.at (January 22 2019): “Wir werden Kleidung künftig anders herstellen”
- Tips (January 21 2019): Creative Region: In Linz wird an der Mode der Zukunft geforscht